Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vb 2010 Selecting text from a textbox with a transparent background on transparent form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skork

Programmer
Jul 23, 2013
US
Hi guys I've got a big problem with a simple program because I'm always trying to push my own limits. The program is simply a Form and a Textbox in vb.net 2010. In Properties the Form is borderless and the BackColor is set to yellow. The Forms TransparencyKey is set to yellow. The Textbox's BackColor is also set to yellow. If I add text in the Textbox's properties when the program opens all you see is the text on the desktop. this is all well and good however clicking a blank area inside the text box results in clicking on the desktop. This is not what I want. However if I click within the boundaries of a single character I can get the flashing Ibeam cursor to appear. From this point I can edit, but its very frustrating to find that tiny area inside the characters boundaries.
So my question is, how do I tell the mouse that its inside a Textbox? I want to be able to click on a, lets say a large blank space between characters, and set the cursor there. I realize I've told the Form and Textbox not to be there by making them transparent but I sure hope there is a way to click any where in side the boundaries of the Textbox and produce the cursor or context menu. Thanks for reading this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back