Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB 2005 program crashes when attempts to synch to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprowler

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
GB
Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help.

I have built a smart device project using VB in VS2005, which saves scanned barcodes to an XML file. When the user wishes to update the SQL Server database, my pgm reads the rows in the XML file into a datatable and then my pc based VB2005 pgm updates the SQL Server Express 2005 db.

My problem is this... When I run the WinCE app through the IDE in VS the synchronisation works OK, i.e. it reads the XML file, populates the dataset, connects to the database and updates successfully. However, when I run the pgm from the CE device and then attempt to synchronise the program crashes. It seems to do this when it attempts to read the XML file, but ONLY seems to do this when run directly from the device.

I am also having problems creating GUIDs. When the pgm creates the new record it creates a series of zeros as the GUID, e.g <Guid>00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000</Guid>. Are GUIDs not supported in smart device apps?

Your help is very much appreciated.

I am a newbie to WinCE, and would be grateful if you can help me

Hi again,

I solved part one. I was getting a NullReferenceException on a dataset that wasn't loading my connection info before I synched so the pgm had no info for it to connect to the db and as the exception wasn't handled the app exited. I set my code to load the connection string before it checks for the docking and is now fine.

I'd still like your help about the GUID though please

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back