Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vaulting of NDMP backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbiller

Technical User
Jul 8, 2004
GB
I have four NetApp filers each with two LT0-2 tape drives attached over SAN for three-way backups.

(Robot control is handled by the Master server)

What's the best practice for Vaulting these backups? Do I need more tape drives to be made available to the media server that holds the storage unit for these backups?

Is Vaulting even possible in such a configuration?

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim

Are you going to setup vault just to eject the tapes, or do you want to make duplicate copies and eject those?

Hi Rusty,

Thanks for the reply.

Duplication and ejection, usual Vault stuff.

Tim

hello tbiller. i have a 960 with about seven terabytes, i vault the inc's, but for the fulls i run a second backup.
at one point vaulting full's started taking longer then it was for me to run a second full backup.
ndmp has been the disdain of my disaster recovery plans! we are finally getting rid of our filer, but what a bugger to transfer the data off. it's like hotel california, you can check in but you can never leave. it's no wonder that network appliance is doing so well.

note: don't forget to enable hardware compression on your drives [lto]!

taylor..

To run duplication you need a drive for the read of a tape and a drive for the write. If you backups are large it would be easier for you to just vault the originals out.

Comtec - thanks for that.

Can the existing drives attached over fibre to the filer be used for this duplication? Is that supported or even possible as they are NDMP drives? Or should I define two more drives to the media server the storage unit is running on for these dupes?

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back