Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vault Jobs Running painfully Slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilmorris123

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2002
GB
Hi,

Currently I am running backups with multiplexing in order to save time as otherwise my servers won't fit into the backup window. In the morning I run a Vault/Duplicate job to copy tapes for off site storage but they are running painfully slow and in the end have to be cancelled. Multiplexing is enabled on the tape device, backup jobs and on the Vault jobs.... can anyone think of anything that I might try or any performance tips???

Vault will always be slow, especially when you use multiplexing. One of the biggest mistakes admins make is building a backup solution for the "Backup Window" when the first item in the design should be how long do you have to recover.

Anyway, back to your question.... Vault runs long since it duplicates image by image, not tape by tape. This means if you are multiplexing by 4, then 4 images are being duplicated at once but will take longer because it might finish 2 or 3 streams and have 1 still running. While the 1 is still running, no other images from another backup will run until that image is complete. In order for you to really speed it up is to buy more drives..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back