Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

varible vlan assignment to an ethernet port 3com 5500

Status
Not open for further replies.

pppeces

Technical User
Jan 25, 2012
ES
I need to assign to an ethernet port vlan2 from 8.00 to 14.00 and vlan3 from 14.00 to 22.00, anyone knows if it is possible and how can it be done?

Thanks

That is a very odd request. I am not aware of a VLAN configuration that allows changes by time-of-day from one VLAN # to another. Please explain your application. Why would anyone want to do that?

....JIM....

The port is shared by two different workgroups, first one is working from 8 to 14 hours and second one from 15 to 23 and, for security reasons, they must be in a different vlan, so this could be a very simple way to do that.

Well, you could contact one of the switch manufacturers and suggest this. Maybe they could design a new feature for this type of VLAN port, and make things more complicated.

....JIM....

So, are you saying it cant be done?

I guess you could have alternate configs on your TFTP server, have a script running there which swaps them over before 1400hrs (ie, renames them) and have a scheduled reboot of the switch to occur at 1430hrs.

On the other hand, you could have a read of the GVRP section of the 5500 config guide and see if you can use that to dynamically assign VLANs to your hosts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back