Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Variables for Computation

Status
Not open for further replies.

karkia

Programmer
Nov 30, 2005
US
Hi,
I need to capture values of certain records which act as denominator for my calculations. Example:
Group SUM
----- ---
G1 50 (NOTE: sum varies over time, but groups are same)
G2 80

Can I create 2 variables, say varG1, varG2 to hold values of the SUM, i.e. varG1=SUM(G1) and varG2=SUM(G2), such that they are used as denominators in my other calculations. For example-
Product Group Revenue %ofRevenue
------- ----- ------- ----------
P1 G1 10 Percentage(10;varG1)
P2 G1 30 Percentage(30;varG1)
P3 G2 40 Percentage(40;varG2)

You can assign a value that is a constant to a variable and use that variable in calculations , but you cannot 'freeze' summarized data so that it will not be recalculated if the report fetches new data.
Not sure if I follow your train of thought by the way...

Ties Blom
Information analyst

Hey Blom,
Let me be more clear on my question.
1. If Revenue is a measure, one of my queries should define a variable to hold the sum of revenue. Example-
myvar = SUM(Revenue)

Now, I have another query which returns, say cost for each Product. What I should be able to do then, is:-
Cost_of_Product/myvar
When I do this, I get an error saying that myvar is not in the query.

2. If I have two Sums of Revenue in the same query, say for 2 different products, can I assign each to a different variable and use them as discussed above?

Let's get this straight.

If you work with WebI versions you have little chance of combining data from multiple dataproviders (as stated a number of times in previous posts)

If you use a client, then:

A. You can use objects from different queries (to a certain degree) if you have a set of dimensions whereby you can link them. OR:

B. One of the dataproviders fetches a measure on its own (no other objects) , so there is no link at all

Ties Blom
Information analyst

Finally, someone had the guts to say it. It doesn't matter what version you use. Even with XIr2, WebI is not a fully functional reporting tool. You still need a client for the complex calculations.

Steve Krandel
Symantec

Thanks for ur response guys. I am not really a BO guy. More into Datawarehousing analyst/developer. Was just trying to validate some of my numbers with WebI (that's what we have). I don't believe that the BO folks did not include even such primitive functions like ranking, linking of multiple queries, etc. My repeated questions on the subject arose from the assumptions that they would definitely be a part of the "much talked about" tool.

Well, I have always wondered at what pace BO developers work on their product. Don't get me wrong, I love it to bits, but development is measured in little steps (not strides) when I look back over the 10 years I've worked with it...

Ties Blom
Information analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back