Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Variable within a variable in a query!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelz

Programmer
Sep 27, 2001
US
I have a query that I want to use to append a table. I have 10 sets of fields that can be updated, and I want to use the same form to update ANY of the 10 sets of fields. The field names are the same except for the number.....for example...there is a fild in the table called Opt8Choices

There is also an Opt9Choices...etc.... Is thewre a way that I can specify the fild name to be updated by calling it Opt[enter a number here]Choices or something like that? How about putting a field on the form where the user enters a number between 1 and ten, and all the field names get their number value from that field.... like Opt [the field value from the form ] name etc. There are 5 field names that contain numbers like that...and 10 sets of them.. I'd rather not make 10 forms if I dont have to.

I tried all the obvious ways and got rejected.. Any ideas???

There are several ways to do this, among them are access via collection keys, by using the Eval function, or by a public user function in a module. To help figure out which approach, could you post the relavent code around which you'll need the indirect variable reference?

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

well...basically I want to inser t a variable in the field name that I want to update.

Like in an update query it asks which field to update...and instad of calling the field Opt1name I want to call it Opt[variable number]name where the variable number is a number entered either in the original form that is calling the query, or a number that the user is prompted for.

Any ideas? I thought it would be something like: field name= Opt&[user input]&Name ...but that didnt work.

Hi,

Do you know VBA?

Jean-Paul
Montreal
jp@solutionsvba.com
mtljp2@sympatico.ca

I can do a little if i have instructions....I've used it some..

Heres the problem somewhat reworded...
I want to make an update query...and in the field name I want the part of the field's name that's a number (the fields are named Opt1Name, Opt2Name, Opt3Name etc... ) to get its value from an input form.

So when a person enters a 3 in one box and COLOR in another...it updates Opt3Name to COLOR. I have to do it with a bunch of fields.

I tried this: "Opt" & [Forms]![Options form]![Text8] & "Name" as the field name...but it doesnt work....

Hi,

1. Create a form link to your table and put fields that will let you recognize the record you wish to update.
2. Create a table with one column and enter number in it from one to the number of fields you have.
3. Put a combo box and use the table with the number as “Row Source”. Set the property “Limit To List” at Yes. This way they won’t enter a number outside your number of fields.
4. Put a text box
5. Create code like that in the module of this form:

Private strNo As String

Private Sub cboNo_Click()
strNo = Str(Me.cboNo.Value)
End Sub

Private Sub Text47_GotFocus()
Me.Text47.ControlSource = "Opt" & Trim(strNo) & "Name"
me.Refresh
End Sub

Jean-Paul
Montreal
jp@solutionsvba.com
mtljp2@sympatico.ca

Hmmm...I was able to build the first part and create the appropriate field names in text boxes on the form from a numerical dropdown list as you suggested...I just cant get the update query to recognize that text box on the form as a valid field name in the query....

I am not following the VBA part or how to set it up that way.

Hi,

You don’t need an update query anymore. In the textbox you enter the color and when you will move to a new record, since the form is base on the table, it will be updated automatically.
To get to the module for that form, click View > Code.

Jean-Paul
Montreal
jp@solutionsvba.com
mtljp2@sympatico.ca

What you can do is to build the variable name like the following:

FieldName = "Opt" & [Forms]![Options form]![Text8] & "Name"

Then you can use that a key into the fields collection of the recordset

Recordset.Fields(FieldName) = xxx

or into the Forms Control Collection

Me.Controls(FieldName) = xxx

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Well...I tried what you suggested...I have:
Private Sub Text58_GotFocus()
Me.Text47.ControlSource = "Opt" & Trim(strNo) & "Name"
Me.Refresh
End Sub
for the text box...

I have the form linked to the appropriate table...and I have this code for the combo box that picks the number:

Private strNo As String
Private Sub Combo416_Click()
strNo = Str(Me.Combo416.Value)
End Sub

But every time I enter anything in the text box it refreshes and disappears....

Well ...I caught one mistake. I had Text 58 as my number and I left your text47 in there. Changed that, and I now get the Contrlo Source being set....but without the number in the middle. It just says OptName no string number in the middle...

OK...I think I have it.

I changed the name of the combo box that selects the number to SelectOption...

I changed the code on the text box to this:

Private Sub Text58_GotFocus()
Me.Text58.ControlSource = "Opt" & Me.SelectOption & "Name"

End Sub

It worked. It updated the correct record...etc. Thanks a lot. Sometime just getting a starting point sparks the ideas for me and I can get going from there.

I really appreciate your help!!!!

Hi,

I’m glad I could help.

Jean-Paul
Montreal
To send me E-Mail, remove “USELESSCODE”.
jp@USELESSCODEsolutionsvba.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back