Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Variable Password Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

billmann

Technical User
May 29, 2001
US
I have several password protected pages for my clients. Now, they have to enter the page location itself, i.e., and then their username/password. I would like for them to simply go to enter their username/password, and have them automatically directed to the page they are authorized for. Am I asking for too much or is this relatively simple? Thank all of yo in advance.

Bill

Bill-

A bit of clarification....

Would the "opening" page the users go to be the same page for everyone visiting your site OR just a specific URL for password protected sites?

If it is your main page for everyone you could create a logon section that would than redirect them to the page. That basically is still 2 jumps.

I have to logon several places for site access and I always seem to be brought to a main page first, logon and than proceed.

I hope that someone offers some thoughts as I am curious myself as to doing this. I think it would be a time savings and nice feature to prompt for logon and password and direct from there.

Take care-

Diana

Everyone would have access to entry point "A" Let's say Joe has access to page "J" and Sally to page "S". When Joe signs in at point "A" and enters his username/password I want him to automatically jump to page "J", etc.

Thanks for asking for clarification.

Bill

Bill-

Hmmm...ok got 'ya. Seems like there has to be a lookup table that would cross reference their logon name/password with the redirected page. I know this in UNIX but am not sure about FP.

If I run across something I'll post again. Now you've got me REALLY curious!

Take care-

Diana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back