Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

variable not truncating

Status
Not open for further replies.

junkmail

Programmer
Jan 7, 2001
US
The following code works fine as far as the logic goes but can someone tell me why the salesrep variable always displays the max length even though I am telling it to display only 22 characters?

case when substring(b.jobnumber,1,1) ='N' then (select left(salesrep,22) from db1..import_order_table where b.jobnumber=import_order_table.orderid) else (select left(description,22) from db2..salesrep where o.salesrepcode=salesrep.code) end as salesrep

I don't know, but I am pretty sure that you can fix it by moving the LEFT function outside the case statement instead of inside, like this:

Code:
[!]Left([/!]case when substring(b.jobnumber,1,1) ='N' 
     then (select salesrep 
           from   db1..import_order_table 
           where  b.jobnumber=import_order_table.orderid) 
     else (select description 
           from db2..salesrep 
           where o.salesrepcode=salesrep.code) 
     end[!], 22)[/!] as salesrep

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

For some reason that did not seem to work for me. The weird thing is if I don't put the case statement in then it works as expected but then again I can't check to see what field I need to pull without the case statement.

SQL:
select salesrep	=	left(case when substring(b.jobnumber,1,1) ='N' then 
							(select salesrep 
								from db1..import_order_table 
									where b.jobnumber	=	import_order_table.orderid) 
							else 
								(select [description] from db2..salesrep 
									where o.salesrepcode	=	salesrep.code) 
							end , 22) 
	from b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back