Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Variable derived from Recordset not passing into SQL Statement 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

leslie746

MIS
May 31, 2004
GB
Hi,
Can anybody help urgently, please?

In the script below the value of variable "strA" shows correctly in the Message Box, however, when I try to execute the SQL statement:

strSQL = "INSERT INTO [Material sent](Material, govt_id, [Date_Sent], sent) VALUES('Letter and Leaflet1', strA, Date(), Yes); "

- it asks for parameter strA as if its value is now not known, and when I run debug, at this point it shows no value for this variable.

Here is my script:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Private Sub Command10_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_Command10_Click
Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
Dim strA As Long
Dim lngCount As Long

strSQL = "SELECT m_govt.govt_id, m_govt.govt_title, m_govt.govt_address1, m_govt.govt_address2, m_govt.govt_address3, m_govt.govt_address4, m_govt.govt_postcode, m_master.name FROM m_master INNER JOIN m_govt ON m_master.my_id=m_govt.my_id WHERE m_master.name='West Sussex';"
Set dbs = CurrentDb
Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset(strSQL, , dbOpenDynaset)

rst.MoveLast
rst.MoveFirst
lngCount = rst.RecordCount
MsgBox lngCount

If rst.RecordCount = 0 Then
MsgBox "EMPTY RECORDSET", vbOKOnly

Exit Sub
Else

rst.MoveFirst

'Do Until rst.EOF

With rst

.MoveFirst

Do While Not .EOF

strA = rst.Fields(0)
MsgBox strA

strSQL = "INSERT INTO [Material sent](Material, govt_id, [Date_Sent], sent) VALUES('Letter and Leaflet1', strA, Date(), Yes); "
DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL, Yes

.MoveNext
Loop
End With
--------------------------------------------------------

What am I doing wrong?
Early assistance would be most appreciated.
Thanks.

hi

strSQL = "INSERT INTO [Material sent](Material, govt_id, [Date_Sent], sent) VALUES('Letter and Leaflet1'," & strA & "," & "#" & Format(Date(),"yyyy/mm/dd") & "#, Yes); "
DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL, Yes

you need to concat the content of strA into your string, not the variable name, similarly with Date() and dates must be bounded by #

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Dear Ken,
Thank you very much for your unbelievably fast response.
It works, and if I can trouble you a bit more.

In the same script, there is a "WHERE" condition which I have hardcoded "West Sussex" because in the original query it was supposed to be a parameter "Select County" but for some reason when I put it into the very first SQL statement like this:

strSQL = "SELECT m_govt.govt_id, m_govt.govt_title, m_govt.govt_address1, m_govt.govt_address2, m_govt.govt_address3, m_govt.govt_address4, m_govt.govt_postcode, m_master.name FROM m_master INNER JOIN m_govt ON m_master.my_id=m_govt.my_id WHERE m_master.name=[Select County];"

I am getting the error message: "Too few parameters. Expected 1."

Any suggestions, please?

Best Regards.
Leslie.

You must have a "Select County" TextBox in your form and then replace this:
WHERE m_master.name=[Select County];"
By this:
WHERE m_master.name=[tt]'"[/tt] & Me![Select County] & [tt]"'"[/tt]

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Hi

Sorry been away from my PC for a while, PHV's suggestion is the way to go, it is as I would have said myself

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Thank you very much to both of you, Ken and PHV.
You have been very helpful and everything seem to be working.
Best Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back