Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

/var is at 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1bzm

ISP
Mar 6, 2001
GB
Hi all

Ive got so much email coming in and out of my server now my /var volume is running out of drive space which is halting a handfull of services.

Is it possible to put in a second disk and extend the /var partition so I can give it more space. Or would it be more sensible to make another /var on a second disk? If so - how?

Any help would be greatfully received...

Darren

Hi There,

Yes, the simplest solution is to put in another disk. It goes something like this:

1. Physically place disk in computer

2. Adjust BIOS if necessary.

3. Run cfdisk (or some other partitioning program) and set up the partitions that you want.

4. Reboot as per the warning in cfdisk.

5 Use mke2fs /dev/hd?? where ? is the letter and the next ? is the partition number as reported by cfdisk.

6 Mount the new drive on tmp/whatever

7 copy over any files that you want to appear in the new space.

8 Umount the drive and remount it where you want it to appear in /var (maybe /var/spool/incoming or whatever)

I hope this helps - it will probably draw responses from several people who know how to do it better/faster/safer so even if my post doesn't help, someone elses may.

Best of luck

Hi,

just one addition to skk:

you have to adjust the "/etc/fstab"-file to have your system mount the new disk/partition at the next reboot.

ciao, mbr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back