Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vanishing messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeuz

Programmer
Feb 26, 2002
CA
This is a fairly strange one and I can't figure it out. I'm running Exchange 2000 SP2 with Outlook 2000 SR-1 clients. This is a new installation of Exchange and I just finished adding all the users 2 weeks ago.

On 2 mailboxes, messages dissappear and will re-appear only when Outlook is restarted. 1 person has 624 messages in their inbox and when a new message is ercieved with Outlook open, it drops down to 54. The other has about 30 messages and when a new message arrives it drops to 20 or so. If the messages are sorted in a different order then the ones that dissappear are also different. I have deleted and recreated the mailboxes already and have made sure I don't have virus scanning software active and I'm now lost.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I havent heard off this problem before !
But make sure its not a client thing first cause it sounds pretty strange to me.

The mails that dissapear are they all the same or are they infact from different users ?

Did you set up a private folder in there outlook profile ?
If so make sure its not because delivery is pointed at that !

I need a little more info to help you but i hope this will set you off in the right direction.

The mail messages are from different people and from different systems, some were recieved by the exchange system, others were imported from outlook express and outlook .pst files (MS Mail postoffice)

Both machines that it's happening on are newer machines, one is running windows 2000, the other is running Windows 98 SE and was just re-formatted. Mail delivery on their profiles is set to the default inbox, and mail does show up there (as long as it's sorted properly, otherwise the new message is one of the ones that vanishes until restarting outlook). Nobody uses OWA, computers are privately used so there's no sharing or moving between computers, and there's nothing special about our configuration.

I have also checked outlook's view settings for any filters and reinstalled outlook without any success.

Hmm
Do you have any connectors set up in your exchange server system to other mailsystems ?

hmmmmm im having a bit off trouble here to figure this one out. I will give it some thought to what it can be and get back to you

One question, is the "View" -> "Current View" set to "Messages"???

yes, I've got that set to messages. I have tried resetting views to default also. It all works as expected until a message arrives when the client is open.

This is an issue once you have scanned the M drive. Did you? If so stop and call to get the fix for the clients. The bad news is you will have to install it on every client. OWA is probably showing fine. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back