Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vanishing data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewy

Technical User
Nov 16, 2001
GB
I have a table which has a 'Short Text' field in it's structure. What is happening is if I move into the field (In table or form view) using the cursor key, the data is visible, however when I move to the next record the text vanishes and does not reappear even if I click in the field with the mouse. It is only visible using the cursor keys. Is this some sort of bug in Access 2016?

Many thanks,

Lewy

Lewy,

As you have said that this happens in both table AND form view - I have experienced this weird behaviour.

I can't say that it IS a specific bug, but it does occur with MS Access, and, I can only put it down to 'memory' problems, and (through experience) specifically to 'graphics' memory problems.

Your only solid proof is to run this application on another machine.
If you can replicate it there - there can be no other conclusion than it's MS Access.
If not (which I believe you'll find) - then, it's this current machine, and then - look at updating graphics drivers specifically.

I doubt if you'll find any specific 'bug' report on this. It seems to be related to how MS Access or Windows handles memory / graphics and / or in conjunction with such applications as antivirus / malware etc.

Sorry - it's all very vague, but hope this helps you to pinpoint where YOUR problem lies for what is a very frustrating problem (believe me - I know it).

ATB,

Darrylle

dhookum,

Question is: do Format / Input Mask properties differ between cursor key / mouse control focus?

If so - it's a reportable bug.

ATB,

Darrylle

I think it might depend on if the field value is either selected or the cursor is inserted. I can't see the OP's screen so I can't tell.

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

dh,

Roger that - could be down to mouse move also. (Sounds stupid, but distinctly possible).

My scenario above is a fact - caused much heart-ache.

Dontcha just love MS Access?

D ;-)

Hi Darrylles, I will have a look at the table and form on another computer. Two things to note; 1, on the data entry form there is VBA code to capitalize every word after Update. 2, It doesn't happen to all of the records only some of them, that's why I am frustrated. and yes I just love access :)

I've had a similar problem with a field - but just the opposite of your issue. When text is entered (you see the cursor moving) but it doesn't show up until I move to the next field. This happens on every computer so I know it's not a hardware issue.

Laura~

Lewy,
Can you share the "VBA code to capitalize every word after Update"?

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

With:
[tt]Dim str As String
str = "VBA code to capitalize every word after Update"
Debug.Print StrConv(str, vbProperCase)
[/tt]
you get:
[tt]Vba Code To Capitalize Every Word After Update
[/tt]

Have fun.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

The code behind the AfterUpdate event is: Me.Description = StrConv(Description, vbProperCase), so it shouldn't cause a problem.
Lewy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back