Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Value of Web Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtpgringa

Programmer
May 14, 2002
US
Hi....I recently designed a website for a family member's business. What was supposed to be a very simple, 3-page site turned out to be a 5-page site with some DHTML, several pictures (that I took, and spent a few hours taking, modifying, etc.). I even researched the best web hosting site for him, after spending hours dealing with the host company that he originally picked. Because he is a family member, I did not make him sign a contract.

A friend of mine looked at the site and said the company he worked for would have charged appx. $2,500 for the design. I asked the family member for $1,500. I based it on an average web design salary of $75 per hour, times appx. 40 hours of work time, and then divided THAT by half. He said that in his opinion, my time is worth $20 an hour, and he offered me $800.

This is only the 2nd website I've "sold," and my experience with negotiating website prices is minimal. Could someone give me their opinion of what is fair??

Thanks.

ps: the website is

mtpgringa...here is what I think about your site. $75/hr is not going to fly at this point in your career. I would say that $20/hr is fair, especially when the bulk of the time that you are working on the site, you are learning how to do things for the first time, which, if you are offering your services, you can't charge for the time it takes for you to learn how to make a basic site. I have been doing desing for about 6 years, and can tell you, as you go, you will get better and look back and agree. That is a good price, especially from a family member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back