Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Validation test

Status
Not open for further replies.

docky5

Programmer
Sep 27, 2007
US
HI,

I have a report and to run that on an argument selection window can be the filtering option selected. One argument is a drop down datawindow gathing names from sql tables. When I select a name from that list I got an error msg thet:
"Item 'XXX' does not pass validation test."
ion't kow what kind of validation should it pass as on the datawindows there is no validation rule being set.
When I press ok it retrieves the report but not only for that name but for all.
Where can be validation being set besides the datawindows variable part?

Thank you the help in advance.

Check the data type of the column in the dw designer.

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time

Hi Matt,

Originally the data comes from a DDW which is used on this argumetn selection window.
On the argument selection screen the data type is
String (30) - initial value '%' -
in the drop down data window
Char (30)

and in the SQL table that column is Varchar (30)

On the DDW I can't edit the type on the argument selection screen there is no char or varchar only String. So I don't see any difference that would may cause this problem. Or am I wrong?
Anyway thx the response Matt, and if you have any other idea pls let me know.

Thank you

You could put a trace on the database and run the PB window to isolate the exact sql being sent and the data brought back. That might tell you if it is something from the db.

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back