Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Validation / conditional Drop-down

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonsi

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2001
DE
I'm not sure if this is possible using Excel but...

I have an Input sheet which requires (amongst other similar bits of data) Location, Name, Date, Time, Department, Equipment.

I have 10 Locations, each of which has different Departments, Equipment, Managers etc.

Location, Name Date & time are all unique inputs, the rest I want selected from Drop-downs

Location 1 has it's list of Departments and Equipment in named Ranges LONDept & LONEquip on a worksheet called LON
Location 2 has it's list of Departments and Equipment in named Ranges PARDept & PAREquip on a worksheet called PAR
Location 3 has it's list of Departments and Equipment in named Ranges FRADept & FRAEquip on a worksheet called FRA
and so on for Managers and the other stuff.

Ideally I want the value of one (cell C10) on the main input sheet (FORM)to then point all the other drop-downs to its respective sheets.

i.e.
If I select LON in Cell D10 I want the drop down in D20 to look at the Equipment list on the LON Sheet range for Equipment (LONEquip)
If I select PAR in Cell D10 I want the drop down in D20 to look at the Equipment list on the PAR Sheet range for Equipment (PAREquip)

Is this do-able ...simply?

thanks
Jonsi

hwyl
Jonsi B-)
"If an apple a day keeps the Doctor away ...why don't Daleks live in Orchards?"

hi,

Your workbook structure is not in accordance with best and accepted structure. Excel is not designed to work with the structure you have described.

Here's a better approach:
[tt]
1. A SINGLE TABLE with your Departments and Equipment, using 2 named ranges: Department and Equipment sorted by Department.

2. A single list of all departments, that I named DeptList

3. A Data > Validation In-Cell Drop Down for selecting a department, in a cell named SelectedDept

4. A Data > Validation In-Cell Drop Down for selecting equipment for the selected department.
[/tt]

A sample table for 1)
[pre]
Department Equipment

FRA Equip 9
FRA Equip 10
LON Equip 4
LON Equip 5
LON Equip 6
LON Equip 7
LON Equip 8
PAR Equip 1
PAR Equip 2
PAR Equip 3
[/pre]

List for 2)
[pre]
DeptList

FRA
LON
PAR
[/pre]

Formula for Data > Validation List:
[tt]
=OFFSET(Department,MATCH(SelectedDept,Department,0)-1,1,COUNTIF(Department,SelectedDept),1)
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Thanks for your advice Skip ...much appreciated.

Jonsi

hwyl
Jonsi B-)

Thanks Skip ...If I can't do something with Word I'll try Excel

hwyl
Jonsi B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor