Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Validation Check Across Multiple fields 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearce64

Programmer
Dec 19, 2003
GB
name WHO0: WHO1: WHO2: WHO3: WHO4: check
fred 1 1 0
joe 1 1
mike 1 1
steve 1 1
sarah 1 1
pete 1 1
ash 1 1

I have a table (matrix) which records performance scores for individuals.

Each Individual can only have a score (True 1) in any of the WHO fields. I want to populate a further field (check) as part of a validation exercise.

The [check] field will contain 0 if a person has a double entry or 1 if a person only has 1 score. etc. If the person has no score in any of the [WHO] fields then put a dash -

This data has been created by another user, therefore I will add a validation rule to the table once the data has been cleaned.

thanks for the help in advance

SELECT Table1.Name, Table1.WHO0, Table1.WHO1, Table1.WHO2, Table1.WHO3, Table1.WHO4, nz([WHO0],0)+nz([WHO1],0)+nz([WHO2],0)+nz([WHO3],0)+nz([WHO4],0) AS WHOT, Switch([WHOT]=0,"-",[WHOT]=1,1,[WHOT]>1,0) AS [Check]
FROM Table1;

You can test this query on your data, and if it works, make it into an UPDATE query for the Check field.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back