Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Validating data entered on one form with another..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbolick

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2005
US
I have two forms, one that displays the status of a project and on that contains the hours worked. The status form has a drop down that allows you select "Not started," "In-progress," or "Complete." I want the status selection to be validated by the hours worked. For example, if the user has entered 4 hours worked, the status cannot be "Not Started." If the status is "Not Started" and hours are entered, a message box will display that states the status has been changed to "In-Progress." I would also need the status to change to "In-progress" automatically. Also, if there are no hours entered and the status is changed to "In-Progress" I need to force the user to enter hours before proceeding. In other words, in this situation if the user enters "In-Progress" the form for hours will open to trigger the entry of time. I cannot figure out how to do this. Does anyone have any recommendations?

How are ya kbolick . . .

Are you aware that both forms have to be open?

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

You may consider a main form for the status of the projects and a linked subform for the hours worked.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Actually, they are both sub forms of another main form so they are both open at the same time (each form is on a different tab on the main). How could I do that cross check between the two?

Knowing how to refer to an object on another form, etc. How would I program the notification, user warning messager, etc. to let the user know that they have changed the status to "in-progress" but have not entered any hours to the project. I imagine that it would be some typed of IF statement maybe in a macro or some code that is triggered when the user leaves the field (On lost focus) or something. I am just not sure how or where I would code that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back