Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VAIO VGN SZ110 Doesn't See the Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

UUVGuy

Technical User
Jun 4, 2005
US
I have a lightly used Sony VAIO VGN SZ110 laptop that runs great except for the fact that it doesn't recognize or see the battery. Unplugging it has the same result as if you unplugged a desktop. The battery icon in the task bar shows no battery preset.

There is a brand new battery in the computer so I don't think it's the battery. The person I got this from said that tech support at Sony said the MB had to be replaced. However, if there is another solution, I can solder on PC boards as well as do other major repairs to electronic gear. Any suggestions are welcome.

TIA

It is most likely the recharge circuit, or a bad contact. You're best off just testing all the components you can. If it's lightly used, is it not covered by warranty?

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Warranty is long over. When the laptop stopped recognizing its battery and a new Sony replacement, the previous owner shelved it in disgust and bought a Toshiba. It's been sitting for about a year.
I like the computer since it runs circles around my older HP P4 monster, but it seems that Sony has a known issue with this problem, but fails to recognize it.
It also appears that not only are Sony Vaio's expensive to buy, but their parts are expensive as well. Even used.

Yeah, that's one thing that's helped me steer clear of Sony's. Their battery prices are sky high compared to most other laptops.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back