Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VAIO PCG-K35 Shut Off Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlesEF

Programmer
May 28, 2011
US
Hi All,

I have a VAIO PCG-K35 that is causing me problems. I have run out of ideas to try so I am looking for some pointers on what to look for next.

I can boot a memory test program and the laptop will run for hours and not shut off. Next I installed a hard drive and used the VAIO recovery disc to restore Windows XP Home. This process takes about 1 hour and the laptop never shut off. During the Windows restore the laptop will reboot when needed, no problems. The 2nd part of the restore is the applications. At this point I see the Windows boot screen (with the progress bar moving). Then the screen will go blank and the mouse pointer will appear and then the laptop shuts off.

What I have tried:
I have removed and cleaned the heat sink fins. Overheating is not the problem.
Memory tests show no errors.
I swapped the DC power board with known good boards. Same problem, at the same point.
I removed the hard drive, placed it in a PCG-K33 and PCG-K37 laptops and Windows loads fine.
After the applications are restored (in another laptop) I placed the hard drive back in the PCG-K35 laptop. Windows will load and then the laptop shuts off. The time is takes to shut off varies. Sometimes it will shut off during Windows boot. Sometimes it will shut off a few minutes after Windows loads.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should look for next?

Thank you for any help,

Charles

So it shuts OFF and then doesn't start to reboot. Like OFF until you press the power button? That's more like a motherboard problem than if it does a blue screen and reboots.

Is there a dump file in the C:\WINDOWS\Minidump directory. If so, you can analyze it.

If you don't want to mess with it, I'd suggest that the problem is a driver/piece of hardware.
Disable all the onboard hardware in the BIOS: internal network card, wireless network card, sound card, modem, etc. and see if it will run with all of them disabled.

Then enable one at a time and let it run until you are "sure" that it's not going to shut down. I'd start with wireless - they are notorious.

Will it run a Linux live cd? or boot a hdd from another laptop? I agree with Goombawaho in that it sounds like a driver, or system board that reacts to a driver being loaded.

Hi goombawaho,

Yes, it just shuts off until I press the power button again.

The BIOS has very limited control over devices. In fact, the only device I can disable in the BIOS is the printer port. There is a switch (on/off) to turn off the wireless but I am sure that is not the same as disabling the device. I will open the laptop up and remove the wireless card to see if that makes a difference.

I will look into getting some software to test my motherboard components. Something I can burn to CD and boot from it to run the tests. I can't install testing software on the laptop because it will shut off.

I will report back later once I have removed the wireless card and try the boot process again.

Thanks for your help,

Charles

Hi rclarke250,

I have never tried Linux, so far. The PCG-K33, PCG-K35 and PCG-K37 all contain the same type motherboard. I can take a hard drive from the K33 and install it in the K35 but it still shuts off. So, the answer to your question is no. A hard drive from another laptop (that works fine) will shut off the K35 when it is installed and booting/booted into Windows. For this reason I do not think it is a Windows software problem of any kind (other than a bad component that a driver causes the laptop to shut off).

I am currently trying to burn a Ultimate Boot CD for Windows disc. From what I understand this software should be able to test the motherboard components.

Thank you for your help,

Charles

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good program the test my motherboard components? Hopefully a free one.

Thanks for any help,

Charles

Hi All,

I have some more information that I hope will help. Since we all seem to agree that the problem is related to a driver loading while the device is bad I booted into Safe Mode. While I was booted under Safe Mode the laptop did not turn off. I had it on for over an hour with no shut off problem. While in Safe Mode I was able to look at the Event log and I found 6 errors.

The first 5 errors are related to TCP/IP, AFD and IPSEC services. The actual failures were:
1. fssfltr
2. DHCP Client
3. DNS Client
4. TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
5. IPSEC
The error reported for the first 5 errors all end with the error message: a device attached to the system is not functioning.

Number 6 gave me a list of boot-start or system-start drivers that failed to load. They are:
AFD
DMICall
Fips
intelppm
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcd
Rdbss
SYMTDI
Tcpip

While in Safe Mode I disabled all devices that I thought had to do with TCP/IP. I disabled the built in network, the wireless card, all devices listed under 'Network Adapters'. I restarted Windows into normal mode and the laptop shut off. I then went back into Safe Mode and disabled the CardBus slot, memory stick device and even the audio. I then restarted Windows into normal mode and the laptop shut off again.

I looked in the Event log and found the same 6 errors. I do not know what else I can disable and still have a basic functioning laptop.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help,

Charles

Hi All,

Well, stick a fork in me because I'm done. I have tried removing everything I can from the motherboard to try to track the problem component down. With the CardBus or Audio/Memory removed the laptop will not even post. The power light and fans come on but no BIOS post, hence no boot. I swapped everything I could with known good parts and the laptop still shuts off.

In Safe mode I used MSConfig to setup a clean boot (I think that is what MS calls it). I disabled all startup programs and I also disabled all non-Microsoft services. I then boot into Windows normal mode and the laptop shuts off.

The problem has to be on the motherboard itself. I can not repair a motherboard because I have no test points or values to check. I am sure Intel (I think they made the motherboard) might be able to do it but I can replace the motherboard cheaper than what they would charge.

I want to thank everyone for their ideas but I do not want to waste anyone's time so please consider this post closed.

Thank you for the help,

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back