Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

v90/v92 external dialtone problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

edfair

Technical User
Apr 17, 2000
US
When I attempt to connect to the line, for various reasons, instead of dialtone I get high freq whine intermixed with broken up dialtone. This is telephone line dependent and USR doesn't have any good suggestions.
Has anybody else run across the problem, and if so , what was the solution?
Think the model is 5686D. It works on about half the lines I've tried it on and fails on the other half.
Ive been across the line with a meter on good and bad lines. When the dialtone is breaking up the tip/ring voltage is bouncing from 50 to 10 to 50 and so on until the line disconnects. On good lines T/R is 50 until dialtone takes it to a solid 10. Acts like the modem isn't pulling enough current to lock in dialtone. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back