Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V880 - replace memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenCunningham

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
GB
Hi folks, I'm planning to double the memory on a V880 we have. Does anyone have any experience of replacing memory modules in these boxes? In particular any gotchas to watch for would be useful. Thanks.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

im assuming the 880 is pretty similar to the v890, which we have. I just did the same thing not too long ago, and all went fine. honestly, the only thing I can suggest is when putting the cpu board back into the system. Be careful that it is aligned and strait before you make connection with the backplane. We had an issue another time where some memory went bad, it was under warranty, so Sun came out and fixed it. long story short, the person who came out to replace the memory, kept putting the cpu board in at an angle which messed up the pins on the backplane, once the pins are messed up, there is a good possibility that the system board has to be replaced as in our case. I don't think he was forcing it in at an angle, but just enough to mess it up. So we requested another person do the work, and after the system board was replaced, and cpu board inserted, the system came up fine.

Ken;

As djr111 said it is straight forward but it is also important that when you are sliding the cpu/memory board back in that you push it in evenly and use the handles to seat it. These boards do not make the best contact so that is why you also have the screws on each side(even with those you will still notice a little gap). I have probably tested at least a hundred of the board without messing up the backplane/motherboard. so what I do is;

1)insert board until the handles start to engage,then use handles to finish seating it.
2)screw each side one turn at a time so it goes in evenly.(you will notice that it still will not look completely seated even though it should be).
3)Up to you if you want to do this part.. I put both hand side by side on the front middle of the board and give it a little push which seems to finish the seating and then screw it in a little more.

I know you will have no problems, just make sure to insert evenly.

I have probably tested at least a hundred of the board without messing up the backplane/motherboard.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys - I'll let you know how I get on!

Ken,

Just had a chat with the guy who sits next to [a fully accredited Sun harware engineer] and, apart from the obvious, he can't think of anything that might catch you out.

Ray

Even a bad day at the races is better than a good day at the office.

Thanks for that Ray. Just waiting for that elusive window of opportunity now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back