Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

v5 Creating report to handle totals

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastro78

Programmer
Apr 10, 2007
US
I'm currently trying to create a web based report that will total numerous fields for each month. I currently have a view that handles basic totals for the end of each week and for the end of the month. But there are aprox 40 fields I need to be totaled. And I want the report to look similar to an Excel spreadsheet I was given in terms of format.

Are you trying to do this in a view, or are you making a report document ?

As far as look & feel are concerned, it would be vastly better to make a document and put report data in it. Views do not lend themselves to being Excel look-alikes.

I would have a Report button on the data view, when users click it, it would quantify the data and put it in a document, which would then display for the user.

That is the only way you'll be certain of layout and printing ease. Plus, you can save reports and - depending on how often the data is updated, refer users to the existing report if it is created on a daily basis - thereby saving on calculation time for multiple users.

Pascal.

I've got nothing to hide, and I'd very much like to keep that away from prying eyes.

It is going to be a document. I have never tried anything like this before using a form. Any pointers?

You need to design the form following the layout rules of the specifications. Once you have that, you'll need an agent to go through the documents, make the totals and place the results in the form.

When the form is filled in, save it, recover the UNID and use that to display the form for the client.

Good luck !

Pascal.

I've got nothing to hide, and I'd very much like to keep that away from prying eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back