Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

v4.2 to v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyb123

Programmer
Jul 1, 2003
GB
anyone gone this way? is it painless?

experiences please esp from UK

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

If you're using a Web Client server, check your multicast IPs to make sure they are not in the 224.0.0.x or the 239.x.x.x range.

Backing up of data then storing it back is critical.

Nortel NTP has a detailed procedure of ver4.2 to ver5.0 upgrade. It has an option of upgrade using the same server and also on a different server (for minimum downtime).

Goodluck.

If you have a server with hot swapable drives just pull out the backup(Failover) set before you upgrade. Then if the installation goes bad just pull out the primary drives and replace them with the backup drives you pulled out before the upgrade.

If it goes well just put the backup drives back in and the system will update them automatically as it mirrors the primary system drives to them.

This is relatively painless but make sure that you have ALL required patches before you begin. We have installed this on two sites and the patches were absolutely vital to the operation.

cgilmer has a very good suggestion. A new server or more hard drives is fairly inexpensive and very worth the cost during a symposium migration.

I will be upgrading from 4.2 this week to 5.0 with database replicator, hot and warm servers. I went out and bought a few really nice dell 1750's that I will be migrating too. If for some reason the migration doesnt go well, I plug back in the old server and reboot symposium. Im back to where i started.

Keep your rollback options completely open and easy.

Hope that helps,

Dusty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back