Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V URGENT !!!! NTLDR Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

NevG

Programmer
Oct 10, 2000
GB
Hi

PLEASE help me. My win2000 prof suddenly decided to bugger up giving me a "NTLDR Missing" error. I consulted microsoft web site and followed their instructions of using win98 boot disk with sys.com to replace the file. This just made win98 start to boot and then stop at dos prompt.

Now win 2000 will only load from a boot disk and that is irritating.

What do I do. I think its something to do with the MBR but I have never messed wit this before, plus I dont have the setup disks or cd.

Please advise as to what to do

Thanks

Nev G

When you restart your Windows 2000 computer, you can attempt to go into Safe Mode by pressing F8 and selecting the choice. However, you may have to use the Recovery Console and you have 2 choices there, one to Attempt a Fast Repair of the WINNT Directory and/or you may have to copy the file NTLDR to the Boot directory of C:
Hope this works out for you.

do you have a floppy in the the floppy drive when you boot up. It sounds like a silly question but it caught me out once before.

worth a shot.

If you ran the sys command from the win98 boot disk you wiped out the boot record pointing to ntldr on your hard drive. Can you boot to Win2000 using a Win2000 boot disk? If so you may be able to build an ERD- do you have the Win2000 installation files on your HD (you mentioned you have no installation media)?

I've encountered this problem when I've had a non-bootable CD in my bootable CDROM. I took out the non-bootable CD and presto!

Go to the backup that comes with w2k and you can make an ERD disk there. Create you disk and then boot from the disk and you should be able to replace your boot files from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back