Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V.92 in-coming call not interrupting internet session in win98SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

swameejee

Technical User
Jun 29, 2005
US
Customer has the QWest package that includes an exchange controlled answering machine. Is it possible that this could be the cause of the above v.92 feature never working?
If so, is there a way to disable the QWest answering machine for the duration of the internet session please?

I guess I am asking for something like a *70, but for the remote answering machine. That way the incoming call would get thru to the computer's modem (which is a US Robotics v.92 win fax card and software.)

Thanks.

I'm not clear on what you are asking here. This answering machine, is it on the same phone line as the modem? Is it a service, what is it?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Hi,

I was referring to the answering service offerred by QWest itself, at the exchange. People usually accept this service, since they can have the phone company record voice messages while they are on the internet.
However, I talked to QWest tech people yesterday and they admit that for the V.92 in-coming call function to interrupt an internet session, their answering service must be off. Unfortunately, there is no code like a star number to temporarily disable it, according to them.

Obviously it is an oversight, but all they could suggest was a more expensive DSL solution. So I guess i just learned something!

Thanks for your interest.

Swamiji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back