Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

v.42 Disconnect Command

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaCeW

ISP
Apr 24, 2003
US
When using the Total Scrutinizer program to check a phone line for any line related issues I sometimes see the user get disconnected and instead of giving me the general user logged off message it gives me the message that they were disconnected by the v.42 disconnect command. Any ideas as to what this command might possibly mean, and if it is being generated by the server or the users modem?

Thanks,
JaCeW

If you believe what is written here, then the user's modem probably dropped DTR to issue the v.42 Disconnect command.

It would appear to be a normal disconnect for some PPP clients. If you are getting an excessive number of these types of disconnects, especially for short duration calls, you may want to disable v.42 negotiation as a test.

Try:

S15=128
or
+DS44=0

depending on your modem (emulation) type.

This should make a marked performance reduction, so you probably don't want to leave it that way, but it will work for a test.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back