Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UTP Cabling Question... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster999

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2001
US
Does anyone know if 22 gauge wire is acceptable to use to make a CAT 5 UTP cable (usually made of 24 gauge).
Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Matt A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSE Windows NT 4.0, MCSE Windows 2000 Early Acheiver with Security Emphasis

The gauge of the wire does not determine if it is CAT5 or not. The physical properties, number of twists, pair layout in the jacketing, and the jacketing itself are some of the items. I would focus on these instead of the gauge. There is 22 Gauge CAT5, but due to limited prodction it is usually very expensive. Hope this helps

Thanks

Chris

If the cable jacket says it is CAT5, any cables or runs you make with it will be CAT5 if you use CAT5 termination hardware (jacks, plugs, patch panels, etc.) and if you follow CAT5 standards in the installation (untwist pairs as little as possible, no bends sharper than a radius of 4 times the cable's diameter, pair breakout follows 568A or 568B specification, etc.)
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back