Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Utilizing two tape drives for one backup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrausnick

Programmer
Apr 2, 2002
US
Bear with me please, I'm not an expert Arcserve user.

We're running Arcserve 12.0 on Win2K3 with 1 HP Storageworks 448 Ultrium tape drive in a scsi dual-drive rack-mount enclosure.

Our daily full backups are starting to need a second tape occasionally. If I just add a second identical drive to the enclosure, can I configure Arcserve to use both drives in sequence, or do I need more hardware?

If it's possible, how would I configure Arcserve?

Thanks,

Mike Krausnick
Dublin, California

If the new drive goes in the same enclosure (I mean the device must remain the same, with only one additionsl drive)you only have to configure it with "device configuration" program under ca program group.
After doing this brightstor will see one mounter with 2 drivers, and will use automatically the second tape if needed.

Be careful: The second drive -must- have the same firmware of the first. With different release level the results are unpredictable, because the tape engine may receive slight different response to it's inquiry and/or command.

It's a good opportunity to update it to the last one.

ciao.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I'll have to buy the tape drive!

Mike Krausnick
Dublin, California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back