Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Utilizing the Windows Username and Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

anxious

Programmer
Jan 31, 2000
US
I have a program that I'm writing where I want to secure access to with a username and password. I thought it would be easier if my program simply checked the Windows username and asked the user to re-enter the password in order to access my program. If I can do this, then I don't have to worry about allowing the users to change their passwords in my program (or usernames for that matter)....instead, they would go to control panel for this. Is this a good idea and one that should be trashed immediately? Any tips you have will be greatly appreciated.

it is posable to check if the user uses windows login or if they login to a network.<br>
<br>
you can check for the defalt user name and the defalt passwork. the only way I have found that it is loger into the regastry is if that person uses &quot;tweek ui&quot;.<br>
<br>
if the use tweek ui and turn on the &quot;login to network&quot; automaticly then the user and passwork are in the regastry.<br>
<br>
If not then you can check for current user.<br>
<br>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Logon\username<br>
but the password is not saved.<br>
<br>
hope this helps<br>
<p> <br><a href=mailto:trbrenke@yahoo.com>trbrenke@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= autocad and visual basic</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back