Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Utilizing stored procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenK

Programmer
Jan 5, 2001
GB
I'm working with C# code against a SQL Server database backend. I'm used to using SQL syntax to generate a result set and then interrogate the generated result set (albeit that my experience is from a different language - Delphi).

I'm now looking at making use of stored procedures in the target SQL Server database but need to be sure that the running of these is waited upon. By this I mean that if I make use of a stored procedure in the 2nd step (block B) of a 3-step code block (run A, then run B, then run C) that code block C is not run before the stored procedure has performed it's workload (be it that it a value returned or a result set returned).
Can I be sure that the stored procedure is completed within step B before step C is started to be run by the application code ?

Is this the case ?

I hope that this makes sense ?

Steve

I'm not 100% sure about that...but one way to check would be to make a temporary table with one field. Add one insert statement to each stored procedure like at the end of procedure #1:

INSERT INTO TableTemp(Field1) VALUES(1)

end of #2:

INSERT INTO TableTemp(Field1) VALUES(2)

end of #3:

INSERT INTO TableTemp(Field1) VALUES(3)

before you do procedure #2, check to see if the value in that field is 1. If its not, then the procedure isn't done.

I'm guessing that in this simple proposed example it would work OK.
My concern would be that if the stored procedure in the first code block had a heavy amount of processing to do, would it complete before the running of a small simple stored procedure in my second code block.

Does anyone have an opinion on this ?

Steve

Based upon my experience, the execution of the stored procedure (or SQL statement) is a blocking call; therefore, your code will wait for its completion.

An effective way to test this would be to create a stored procedure with a parameter--to identify the instance-- and then execute it in your two different code blocks

This stored procedure would need to be time-consuming like the following example:

Code:
CREATE TABLE TEST (
  ID VARCHAR(100),
  CNT INT,
  TIMESTMP DATETIME
)

Create Procedure "TESTME"
(
	@ID VARCHAR(100)
)
As
	SET NOCOUNT ON
	DECLARE @I INTEGER

SET @I = 0
	WHILE @I < 10000
	BEGIN

SELECT * FROM <a big table>

SET @I = @I + 1
		IF @I % 100 = 0 
			INSERT INTO TEST (ID,CNT, TIMESTMP)
				VALUES (@ID,@I,GETDATE())
	END
	SELECT * FROM TEST
	return

You could then run the stored procedure TESTME with
@ID=&quot;Test1&quot; in one code block and @ID=&quot;Test2&quot; in the second code block.

Finally, a SELECT * FROM TEST ORDER BY TIMESTMP would prove when the code executed.

Hope this Helps,
Scott

Yes it will definitely wait.

If it's returning a result (and even if it isn't) to your application how can it *not* wait?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back