Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Utility Which Closes Access Applications 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsp7777

Programmer
Jan 11, 2005
US
Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone is aware of a third party tool or utility which will shut down any sessions of Access that a user has open (after a period of inactivity, such as 15 minutes)?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about any utility, which would be great, but there's information on the internet about this being accomplished through programming. As far as I know, it's mainly about causing the app to quit once a table value or perhaps a variable receives a certain value. For instance, you, the admin, set a field or variable equal to a certain value; user's open form sees the value during On Timer, then gives a msgbox saying something like "Your app will shut down in 2 minutes. Please wrap up."; then comes a docmd.quit or something. Google it and you'll come across this stuff, and search Tek-Tips as well.

Now, can you shed any light here?

I did see some information on Google regarding shutting down an Access application at a certain time. However, I didn't see anything which shows how to determine if there has been no activity within, say, the last 15 minutes. Since I don't want to shut down an Access application at a particular time, do you know of any way to determine whether or not there has been any activity within the database itself?

Thanks!

I did see something like that a long time ago, but since I wasn't concerned about that aspect I didn't pay much attention or make a note of it. My concern was just being able to set the shut down in motion myself if necessary. So, that info is definitely somewhere. In fact, it may even be on Tek-Tips itself. Sometimes some really heavy duty digging on Tek-Tips pays off if one is feeling up to it. Admittedly, one does not always have the time or energy, such as for the heavy digging I exercised to find the 2003 thread linked to below. I would also keeping rephrasing a Google search. Now, somebody please do me up on this other thread: :)

Hope it goes well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back