Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Utility to list classes, forms, procedures, reports where dataset used

Status
Not open for further replies.

kizakiza

Programmer
Sep 29, 2006
AU
Listing and tracking where Dataset and other items such as procedures and class methods are used within a Visual Studio project

Does anyone have or can they direct me to some code or a utility that can analyse or report the classes, Procedures, forms and modules where a particular Dataset (eg employees.xsd) is used.

Ultimately it would list all Datasets and provide a list of classes, procedures and forms where it is used.

Where a particular dataset (ie something like employees.xsd) is used by several forms and reports then I would like to ascertain for the customer what the implications of any change to that particlar dataset may entail.

regards
Kizza

I'm not sure if there is a tool or anything for this, but I do know that the VB code files are simple text files. It would be fairly easy to write an app to read through the .vb files in the project directory and find any instances of "employees.xsd". You could also check for the keywords "class", "sub" and "function" to determine where the references to "employees.xsd" are located.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back