Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Utility to determine mhz and processor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohdem

Programmer
Sep 20, 2000
US
Is there a utility or an easy (no rebooting) way to determine the mhz and processor type of a machine running win 95, 98, or NT?

Thanks Mike Rohde
"I don't have a god complex, god has a me complex!"

Click the link and Download BelArc Advisor. It will do what you need and much more. If you use IE 5.5 SP2 or IE6
Notice you need a reg patch. The Download is linked on the same page.

A quick way, that doesn't "always" tell you the CPU speed, but should at least tell you the type of CPU --> right-click My Computer and go to properties. This general tab will tell you most of what you're looking for...

~cdogg

If you have DirectX on your system you can do this. Go to Start>Run> and type "dxdiag" and it will give you all your system information.

-Jeff

MyCPU, which identifies the CPU installed on your computer, is both simple and effective. Download here:

Date Added: 01-05-01

Displayed Size: 45.09 KB

Downloads: 20,936

Requirements: Windows 95/98/NT/2000

License: Free

MyCPU is a small utility that identifies your installed CPU. It looks for the vendor string (such as AuthenticAMD or GenuineIntel), obtains model information (such as type, family, model, and stepping), reads the CPU's speed (MHz), and checks for features such as MMX and 3DNow. This update features a variety of bug fixes and adds detection of SIMD (ISSE) and L2 cache size.

Thanks guys!!! All these are great suggestions. Vop, that utility was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. A simple multi-platform .exe that I can run off of a network share so I can check each machine on the network. I wish it was a little more specific about the processor type (i.e. could distinguish between pII/celeron), but I'm probably being too picky!!! This works great!!! Mike Rohde

Also see - advisor.exe. It does a system audit of most of the PC hardware and software into a clean logical breakdown of the system. There is a "free" trial version for visiting users.

Dave Y.

Belarc seems more accurate. "dxdiag" reported my PC as Pentium II, but Belarc reported as Celeron, but speed was accurate.

Yes, belarc is more accurate, but it has to be installed, it can't just be ran from a network share. It is also not free if you want to use it on more than one computer. I was, however, very impressed with the detailed info it gave me about my machine. Mike Rohde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back