Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

utility to change domain names

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliberTech99

IS-IT--Management
Dec 21, 2009
US
hello, we need to change the domain name for our internal domain. i was told that there was a utility that can do this. can anyone tell me where i can find this utility? thank you.

Some things to keep in mind. It requires a fair amount of planning. You can't rename a domain that has Exchange 2007 or later in it. If you have Exchange 2003 or earlier, there are additional steps that have to be planned out as well.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

thanks for the information. I have reviewed the document that accompanies the utility and all i can say is this looks like a good deal of work! Here is our situation - we have 2 server which are both DC's of a domain. These two servers are from an old company and are now going to be used at a new company. Therefore, we would like to use a new local domain name. We heard about the domain rename utility so we figured that we would research this. My question is, might it be better off for us to just demote both DCs and promote them and in the process create the new domain? These servers aren't actually in production right yet. The one server is an exchange 2003 server so I am thinking at worst we may just need to reinstall exchange. Yet another idea I was pondering was to just start from scratch - in other words, back up the servers, format them and start all over. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If you demote everything, you're killing off your domain. Exchange is completely toast at that point.

A rename would be the way to go. Either that or ADMT to migrate the domain.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back