Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

usr805450 vs Linksys WRT54GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machiaveli

Programmer
Dec 16, 2003
NL
Hi,

Anyone can tell me which accespoint/router is better? I'm thinking to buy the usr805450 (with all turbo related devices )or the linksys new wrt54g speedbooster. I ditched my old wrt54g, because i think usr805450 is better. When i get me one of those models, i also will buy the same brand of gigabyte network components, so that the overall performance will be ok (chipset, etc).

I've read numerous complaints about both models, but not really a good comparison. First i had a adsl modem of the linksys befdsr(whatever) and it's internetconnection keeps losing every hour or so. Then i bought a linksys wrt54g and hooked it up to my speedtouch adsl modem. Everything worked fine, but not to my satisfactory. Seems the wpa security wasn't working right with the linksys wpc54g and wmp54g.

Now before i'm going to lose my hair if the usr805450 is also a piece of junk, can anyone give me an useful advice which model i should buy? Preferably someone which has used both models.

Thnx

Mach

Let be honest here... both are consumer grade products. Built to hit a very low price point. I have the Linksys and an old Cisco 340 AP. The Cisco consistently works better and farther then the Linksys ever did even though it's newer technology by three years or more. The Cisco 340 is bulletproof. In 3 years Its been rebooted only a few times due to IOS upgrades or power outages. The Linksys needs a monthly reboot. So, a used Cisoc 340 might fit your bill unless you absolutely can not live on 802.11b and most folks can, they just dont know it.

Now, I have a second Linksys coming in the mail in a few days. Why they ask? Because the first one is in production and I plan to load one of the alternate Linux loads on the new one for testing. I dont think the hardware is bad per say, I think Linksys just has crappy software.

I can not speak to the USR but they are in the same spot of trying to hit a price point and still make a profit. It stands to reason that at sub 100 dollars, that becomes very hard if you spend alot of money on R&D or Q&A.

My 3 cents worth

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back