Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USR/3Com Sportster V.90 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnw

ISP
Nov 20, 1998
US
Hi all,<br>
<br>
I have a couple of customers who are using USR 56K Sportster modems with V.90. When they connect to our digital modems, which are V.90, they get connect speeds upwards of 45K. The problem is that the actual speed is very slow. For instance, a site that takes them 20 seconds to load when they are dialed in on the 33.6/analog lines takes over 2 minutes to load when they are connected on the 56K/digital lines.<br>
<br>
Neither of these people have super fast computers, one is using a Pentium 90 while the other has a Pentium 166.<br>
<br>
I had the current boot code installed on the ISPorte 4000's. We kust upgraded to a PM3 and are still having the same problem. So I don't think that my modems are causing this.<br>
<br>
Any help that you could offer would be greatly appreciated.<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
John Wilson<br>
BainbridgeNet Support<br>

Personally my usr courier v.Everything performs better with v.90<br>
disabled..ats58=32 ??? when connecting to usr total control <br>
equipment. Also I've heard that setting the modem at a slightly <br>
lower maximum speed sometimes improves throughput by throttling<br>
retrains.

I have been told by several people that the v.everything modems work better. I do not have the option of installing a v.everything modem.<br>
<br>
When you disable v.90 are you still able to get 56K connects?<br>
<br>
I will try lowring the maximum speed, I will let you know if it works. Also, we just installed our PM3 and are still having the same problem.

PM3 have a known issue:<br>
( see )<br>
I am not familiar with the ISPorte 4000s.<br>
<br>
If the users in question connect to the 3com BBS (847) 262-6000 and download a file, how is their throughput? If they log in using the name "modem utility" without quotes, it will automatically download the Update utility (which is around one meg) and they can see their throughput. If this speed is also slow, then they sould contact 3Com support at 847-262-5151 or by emailing support@usr.com with 0000 in the subject feild.

3Com has a BBS 847 262 6000 that will allow testing of<br>their 56K modems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back