Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Zenworks as a backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdavis37

MIS
Jul 9, 2002
US
Have anyone use Zenworks as a backup?

we do, but it's not perfect. Not due to any fault of Zen, but more a windows issue with SID's and also the P&P database. Basically even dropping an image from one box to another identical box can leave you with a not 100% functional machine. Any app that is not profile aware will get lunched (as user ID's are a combo of machine SID and user#, the sid changes on imaging and so all original profiles are lost). Also depending on bios settings & IRQ's you can have unexpected problems. We have lost video drivers more than once for ex. We're determined to make it work here though for mission critical workstations. We're just getting started. :) The first step is figuring out how to stop zen from changing the sid..We can DL an pretty big image in under 15min; our best was about 3 min for a small Win2k WS image. Once we roll out GBoE next year we'll be under 3 minutes to restore a machine. What I want to do is set up the machines to reboot automatically every Sat night and then have the "image on next reboot" flag checked. Time is $, storage is cheap.

I should clarify one thing (at least!)
I'm referring to dropping a "backup" image onto a new PC with identical hardware. This is assuming a HD failure or PSU or whatever. If you can restore to the same workstation (same MAC) using an image object you should be fine as the imagesafe data does not get changed.

ideally where we want to get to is where we have an OS image and a bunch of add-on (application) images. Re-imaging someone's PC will consist of the PC getting all the images specified under that image object policy so we won't need to backup the actual PC anymore. I may still do it as a matter of speed for critical PC's (chairman, etc).

Anyone else looking at this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back