Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Word to enter data into Excel with dropdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viscount

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2003
GB
I hope that somone can give me some advice / help.

I have got an old database that is on it's last legs and is threatening to fall over any day.

I have also got a stable database using SQL. What I want to do is use the stable database as a front end to store the information.

My problem is that the stable database is not designed to store the same information as the dodgy dbase.

The solution is to store some information in the stable database and the information that cannot be stored put into a seperate excel spreadsheet so that it can be added when a new database is created.

The stable database is capable of producing a word report, pulling in key fields. I then want to use this report to populate the additional spreadsheet. The fields will need to be drop-down menus or free text. Once this information is entered the form is printed and faxed - I then also want the data to be saved automatically for later.

Any ideas..?

cheers

Vis

Vis,

It's usually not a good idea to generate a table from a report. It can be difficult and frustrating not to mention possibly inaccurate.

I assume that there is some added value in the generating of the Word doc fields of interest. Can this data be constituted some other way? Otherwise, you'll have to scrape the report.

Your info is sketchy and so is my answer.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] When you ignite a firecracker in a bowl of vanilla, chocolate & strawberry ice cream, you get...
Neopolitan Blownapart! [tongue][/sub]

Cheers Skip,

Both databases record appointments, what happens at the appointments and produces a report about the appointment.

I would like to use the stable database to record the basic appointment details - the who, when & where (This data it populated from an organisational demographic database). My problem is that I cannot record the "what happend" as the fields are just not compatible.

The stable database uses SQL to create a word report and I can create the templates that go with this. My thinking was that I would record the who, where & when in the stable database and the what happend in the excel spreadsheet. As a final report needs to be produced I thought that using the report to be the front-end for the data input to excel. Maybe not!

Cheers

Vis

So do you have some kind of an interface (a form with inquire/add/change/delete functionality) that puts the data into your database? What system is that? How is it programed?

How do you envision that you get the "what happened" into Excel? This soulds to me like a VBA program to scrape the Word Document/Report and struff it into Excel.

Did you ever think about creating a new table in the New Db to put this even temporarily?

If we start talkin about VBA code, it might be better to repost your question in the VBA forum forum707.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] When you ignite a firecracker in a bowl of vanilla, chocolate & strawberry ice cream, you get...
Neopolitan Blownapart! [tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back