Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Wireless and handheld devices with GroupWise 6.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunle

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2001
US
If anyone has any idea/suggestions on how to do this, please help me out with ideas. I have a GroupWise 6.0 running with NetWare 6.0. I have webaccess running and I need to explore more options with handhelp devises and imaging within my GroupWise 6.0, PLEASE help with ideas and suggestions. Thanks.

Could you be more specific? What is the business problem you're trying to solve?
Novell is giving strong support to the PalmOS as well as the RIM Blackberry so you might want to start there with something like the Treo 270 (T-mobile wireless) or the Palm Tungsten W (AT&T Wireless) Both can do webclipping or browsing and if you're on SP2 you have the templates in Webacc already to deal with these devices. SSL can get tricky (see novell support groups for numerous threads about this..) PalmOS also syncs with Groupwise via various 3rd party apps.

We are exploring wireless access with GW as well. Any web enabled palm or handheld should be able to access GW web access.

The Blackberry solution is a bit more complicated. Depending upon where you are located, coverage may be an issue. GW requires a back office solution involving a server / software so that the messages are routed thru the carrier to the device. Currently, I have only found one solution that gives you wireless PIM + mail functionality. The others all leave something out that must be updated when the unit is synced at the workstation.

Cost is not cheap either. We are looking at about $1200 per user.

Hope this helps...

zr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back