Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using WINS over DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaresa

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2002
US
We are planning to upgrade our NT 4.0 domain over the next few months but are faced with some difficulties that will make our reliance on W2K DNS problematic.

Most of the servers/PC's within the domain have non-compliant DNS names. Specifically, most of the machines use the underscore character. I am concerned because the Exchange server, Antivirus server, all file and print servers, as well as all DC's and most 3rd party application servers use the underscore. I started making changes on some of the machines but realize that with 25 servers and approxiamtely 400 clients this is going to be a mammoth undertaking.

Is there a way that I can still rely primarily on WINS while migrating to AD. My objective is to get on W2K AD without making name changes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1. Prepare a test lab to check whether your Computer Names will be supported on Win2K DNS.

2. You can also try installing a Win2K Member server with DNS service installed on your production domain.

3. In any case, you can configure a Win2K DNS to query a WINS server if it can't find a name on its tables.

Bottom Line:
Windows 2000 Active Directory can't live without DNS whether its on a Win2K box / Linux DNS / etc. DNS.

Check for the supported DNS BIND version.

mmaxx
MCSE Win2K
MCSE NT4
MCP E2K Admin

If your clients are NT, I don't think you'll have much of a problem. They'll still be using NTLM authentication to the server and WINS for resolution. Make sure your server uses netbios over tcp/ip when you upgrade it to 2000 server. You can alway give them new names when you upgrade them to 2000 pro and properly join them to the domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back