Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using windows authentication fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I have some aspx pages that I want to secure with windows ntfs security. I have dont this with .asp pages in the past. I put the pages I want secured into a folder in the web site, then i remove all the default NTFS permissions and add the user/group I want to have access. When anyone attempts to pull up the page windows presents them a windows logon and they logon with their windows user name. now I have to do the same thing, on the same web site with some aspx pages, but they won't run. I have an html page that the user tries to open, windows presents the logon, the user logs on and the links to the aspx pages are displayed on the html file. However, when the user clicks on any of the aspx pages I get: Server Error in '/' Application./ runtime error. But no details because the page is failing "remotely." Even if i give the user/group full access to the directory the pages fail. I can then go back to ntfs and add say the "everyone" group and the pages work fine.

Can anybody tell me why these pages are failing? I can't get to any errors because the pages will not fail if i run them locally on the web server and if i run them "remotely" and they fail .net will not show me the errors.

Ensure that you gave "Network Service" and/or whatever account yuo set up IIS to use access to the directory.

Lodlaiden

A lack of experience doesn't prevent you from doing a good job.

i tried making changes to the web.config file .. adding authentication = windows etc. but it doesnt seem to make any difference. I have another web server running where the nfts security allows the users to get to the page and run them, but that server is joined to our active directory domain. And, the web.config file on that machine does not have any authentication=windows sections, but it works fine. The only difference in the servers... the working server is on the domain and is 2008 server, the non-working server is stand alone and is 2003 server. I couldnt see where adding the authentication section to the web.config was necessary.... it didnt make my pages magically work anyway ... so i dont really understand what that authentication section is supposed to accomplish. Ive read up on it, but still dont understand what's gong on.

sorry, i just realized that i didnt address the suggestion above which was about getting the error messages rather than the authentication=windows problems. Tried too many things the last few days and lost track of what i was talking about... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back