Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Win95, going to get a new install this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

AidanEnos

MIS
Dec 11, 2000
Should I buy XP home edition and give it a go? I have MS Office 97 Pro on Cd, I play StarCraft primarily and generic internet surfing...

Any reason XP would be a BAD choice?

Thanks,

AidanEnos

What kind of system do you have. That might me primarily the deciding factor.

If your systems does support it, I would say only if you need to use the latest technologies. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer

Here's the situation:

I have an Athlon 750 with 256MB PC133 ram. I'm gonna get a new Quantum 100MHz 60.0GB HDD and start from scratch...

why?

Because I'm getting a Firewire 1394 card to make digital CD Movies from the digital video camera, it requires Win98 at least and 10GB of free HDD space.

As well, I'm getting a 5x7 USB Graphics tablet, and Win95 can't power USB devices - you need Win98+.

I can't see the sense in buying Win98, so I'm considering WinXP.

Just wanna make sure the rest of my crap should be okay :eek:)

AidanEnos

Make sure there are drivers - check with the vendors before you put the $$$ out. I agree, it doesn't make sense to buy Win 98; if the vendors don't have drivers for your peripherals, at least check to see when they plan on having them done.

My Intel PC Camera doesn't have XP drivers, and it's not too terribly important, so I'm waiting for Intel to publish them.

As far as asking how it is... besides a few minor problems I have to work out (aka format, reinstall), it runs beautifully on my P3 750 laptop with 256 MB ram. And as a clean install is FAST!!! Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back