Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Win2003 VPN server behind PIX 501

Status
Not open for further replies.

adarmus

Technical User
Sep 8, 2006
GB
I want to allow remote access to our LAN, if possoble just using Windows 2003 VPN Server and the built-in WinXP VPN client (had this working before but now upgraded firewall to a PIX).

Can I use a Windows 2003 VPN server that is behind a PIX 501? As this isn't discussed in this forum is this unadvisable for some reason?

Do I just NAT the Win2003 server to an external IP and set up an ACL to allow PPTP through.
Do I need to set the VPN System Option to "Bypass access check for PPTP traffic"? (Instead of the ACL entry?)

Thanks, Adam

The pix501 supports pptp connections. So you dont need to setup the 2003 server as Remote access server. You can let the pix do that for you.

Thanks, but if I do that, the remote user has to log in once to the PIX, then login again to access hosts on the remote domain. And then I have to set up LMHOST entries on the client to be able to access remote hosts by name.

Unless there are ways round these issues?

Never used xp pptp that much so i cant give any good advice there.

But if you want to let pptp thru remember to make a static and create the right access-lists.
Then you need to enable fixup protocol pptp 1723

Try this link

There are some examples lower down. You can authenticate the VPN against IAS on the windows server and supply a WINS and DNS server to the client. That will fix the lookup by name issue.

Create shortcuts in Windows that user different user credentials that are saved.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

Brilliant, thats a great help.

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back