Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using WAC functions on V11 UM4730 on network PCs

TheTeleTech

Technical User
May 10, 2011
US
I started a job at a College, with a NEC SV9500 with a UM4730 V11.9.2.23 Linux tower as the voicemail. On the machine itself, I run the Web admin console, it uses Firefox V31.1.0 ESR, and its Java plug-in is
V11.151.2. The onboard WAC is able to download .wav files from the UM4730, and view the channels with this mix of Firefox and Java. But NEC disabled the USB drives on it for securitypurposes when the last upgrade to it was done, so that is kind of a dead-end.

The only method to download .wav files like greetings, mailbox names etc. has been to run Windows PCs on the telephone network, and running the WAC on them. The telephone network has PCs on it that are aged out, being Dell Win7 PCs. Only one can now communicate properly with the UM4730.

(The problem is the age of the platform. I have heard the next step to upgrade would be a Windows Server version of UM8000, and the cost is high, and since NEC is leaving this market, not necessarily the path we would take long-term.)

I was hoping to run a Win7 Virtual machine on the network, on new Win11 hardware for administration. I think it would have to be a win7 virtual machine with an old browser/java combination, because new browsers hate the Certificates and refuse to run the applets in the WAC.

I am wondering if anyone in this forum is still running UM8000 or UM4730 circa 2016-2017 software level, with a working mix of old browser and Java on their laptop or PC. I have spent a lot of time trying to emulate what is on the working Win7 MAT PC, ie. Firefox 49.0 and Java 8u91, but can't get the Firefox browser on my VM to recognize my Java version in add-ons.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me !

Cheers

NEC UM8700 is actually OpenText Call Express, which is compatible with Integration to Avaya, Cisco, Google, NEC, Microsoft, Mitel, and RingCentral (likely a few more I missed)

SP

You would not be using a UM8000 that was an inskin board based voicemail system that is not compatible with the SV9500. The 2 options for the SV9500 are the UM4730 or UM8700. If you are using PMS (hotel motel) integration you have to use the UM4730. UM8700 does not have the ability to do PMS.

To upgrade to any other product you must have it purchased before Dec 31 2024 or you will not be able to purchase it.

see these threads for details

Note if you are using dialogic digital or analog ports you might be able to purchase the Opentext CX product after Dec 31st. Unless something changes after Dec 31st IP or SIP based extensions will not be available for the UM8700 as NEC has the exclusive on that integration. Opentext right now cannot sell you that integration. Board based systems digital or analog are rather expensive at this point.

If you have current SWA with NEC you should be able to upgrade the UM4730 to 11.10 which has a more modern user interface that does not use java. If you don't know... you cannot update the software on the UM4730 from 11.9 to 11.10 without first getting the 11.10 license. You can update it if you have the software but it will never run without the license. Take a guess how I know.

I discovered my problem, and it was a brain-dead one. I got the browser to see the plug-ins that are needed just a few minutes ago. Thanks to everyone for their input ! I wasted 3 days on this but it's worth it.

I will pass the information you shared to my Lead tech. Thanks again !

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back