Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using w32sendmail with exchange issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lds4me

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2001
US
Ok...here's the situation. I have a high volume webpage which a guy is hosting on our main server at the office (the bright idea of the guy before me was to allow this webpage on our main box--we're presently moving our stuff off). They setup this webpage and it uses perl scripts with a windows sendmail program to perform an automatic reply to people who register for the site.

Now I found out after inheriting my position from the guy who left that our server was relay spam and decided to tighten Exchange 5.5 up to where we would not relay spam-thoughtful of me, no? Well now that I've tightened up the relay on the Exchange 5.5--the mail from the sendmail will not relay out to the people who need the automatic replies.
I'm getting event messages, refused to relay for "blah@aol.com" etc. I've done about every angle I could think of. I refuse to allow the relaying on the server, but the webpage needs to be up and running in this particular.

What I need is for the Exchange to let the Sendmail program on the box to relay the mail back to the people who sign up for the service. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

HI.

I don't get something here -
If you have sendmail on the xnix box, then why does it need to relay via the exchange server? Why not send directly to recipients?

Anyway, for the Exchange part of it, I think that you can allow relaying from a specific source ip or subnet - correct me if I'm wrong.

And make sure that your sendmail isn't an open relay by itself.

Or have I mis understood your situation??

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Windows version of Sendmail...
One Server...
Same box as with the Exchange5.5 on it. I inherited this network, it's not of my making (the guy before me probably thought it the most expedient use of his time by taking a shortcut), but it is what I have to make work until I can schedule enough time in an already busy week to move all our data and information to a new box.

Basically, from my analysis of the situation, the Exchange 5.5 is controlling port 25 and not allowing the Sendmail (windows version located on the same box)to relay the replies to the people who register for the message boards of the webpage.

Hope this irons out the confusion and sorry for the sloppy syntax/grammar of the first entry. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back