Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using VS .NET 2003 unmanaged ISO or ANSI C++

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTT

Technical User
Jan 8, 2007
US
Hi,

I are starting to learn C++, but I want to learn the "pure" or the ISO or ANSI C++ first, not the managed C++ VS .NET 2003 brought out, and I have no intention to program for .NET framework, at least for now.

My question is: Does VC++ .NET 2003 provide a compiler that fully supports the ISO or ANSI standard? This is the only IDE I have installed in my computer, it would really save a lot of trouble if it supports ISO or ANSI standard besides programming for .NET.

P.S. Is ISO and ANSI standard C++ the same thing? And What about VS C++ 2005 in the aspect?

Thanks

By ISO/ANSI standard, I assume you mean the 1989 standard. There are switches to support the standard. It supports most aspects of the standard. There are some strange errors that I've found with STL but then again I got different results from 4 compilers.

What it doesn't do is support the 1999 C standard. 2005 doesn't support it either.

Just make sure you create an empty Win32 Console Application project, and check the Empty Project box in the Application settings tab of the new project wizard. Then you will get ANSI/ISO standard C++ compiler.

It isn't 100% compliant, but apparently the VC++ 2003 and 2005 compilers are among the most compliant available.

In your new project, you might want to check to make sure CLR is turned off. I think it is if you follow the instructions above, but I don't remember for sure. Just browse through the project settings looking for that option. Also, be aware that there are almost always compiler extensions available, so just because it compiles in VC++ 2003 doesn't mean that it standards compliant. This is true for other compilers as well, though, so it is not something you should seriously worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back