Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using VNC, or pcanywhere...How? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PilgrimSoldier

Instructor
Aug 13, 2002
US
I am a CAD software tutor, and I have purchased pcanywhere, as well as downloaded VNC. I have no prior experience with either program, and want to use one or the other to aid in long distance teaching.
I hoped to be able to log in to a users computer and see their screen, watch their selections, and take over if need be. Provided we are both running a windows version,(which is all this software will work on, I have xp, they could have anything windows), will this work? pcanywhere seems to imply additionally that I have to be on the same type of internet access as the user or it won't function. I don't understand how to get either program going.

I am not a techi, just a tutor.
Thanks, Pilgrim Soldier

Ok, if you are going to use PCAnywhere your students will also have to have it installed.

VNC on the otherhand is free.

I'll explain how to use VNC.

Have your student's install VNC from the winvnc directory if they download it and set it up as a service (this sets up the server). They should choose a password and give it to you.

To connect to your students computer you'll need their IP Address. If the VNC service is running they should have a small icon in their system tray (the area with the clock in the lower right hand corner of the screen). If they hold their mouse over it it should show them their IP address. They'll need to be online while doing this. They then need to send you their IP address. Once you have their IP address start up the VNC viewer and type in the IP address. If you followed the instructions correctly you should be able to see their desktop.

Another program that is cheaper than PCAnwhere is called Remote Administrator. ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

You can also install vnc as a service in the background so they dont have an icon, but you can find all of this fun stuff on the vnc web site,

You might want to look at a product called NetOp School, which is designed exactly for the purpose that you are describing.

Thanks to all who replied, (mithrilhall, nice name), I expect I won't be investing in NetOp, but will keep it on the back burner for a while just in case. I have downloaded Tight-VNC as I have been informed that this is much faster over long distances.
Now to use it!

PilgrimSoldier

Glad I could help.

And thanks. ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back