Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using VLOOKUP function in Excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilPattison

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2005
GB
I need to be able to write a formula that will use the vlookup function to check 2 columns and not just one.

I have a worksheet that has a table of names with each having there own unique number. On another worksheet information is added and I need to check that the correct unique number is being entered with the correct name.

What is the best way to check these two columns are correct.

I have attached a small example that will hopefully explain things better than I have. Row 10 is incorrect in my example

Did you use SumProduct?

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

NeilPattison,

I notice that over the past 4 years, you have posted 29 threads and have received many good tips related to your stated needs. Yet, you have responded NOT ONCE, to
[blue]
Thank Tek-Tip Contributor
for this valuable post!
[/blue].

The [purple]little purple Stars[/purple] accomplish several important things.

First, it gives positive feedback to contributors, that their posts have been helpful.

Second, it identifies threads as containing helpful posts, so that other members can benefit.

And third, it identifies the original poster (that's YOU, BTW), as a grateful member, that not only receives, but is willing to give tokens of thanks.

Finally, if you did find a solution other than here at Tek-Tips, it would benefit other members if you would post your solution.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back