Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using VB to display text to LED Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

InternAmy

Programmer
Jul 22, 2004
US
I'm an entry level programmer and my company is implementing RFID. We have purchased an LED and will later use it to display RFIC transactions but right now I am first trying to display simple text to the screen. I have a VB executable that uses 5 parameters-- (1) the message in quotes (2) "single" for displaying the text on a single line or "double" for using 2 lines at once (3) "scroll" for the text to scroll left or right, or "up" or "down" (4) "red" "green" or "yellow" (5) the COM port.
I need to use these parameters to generate control characters in a string. The string will consist of a constant of control characters -^D^G001^J01, then any special control characters (for example, ^W sets the color to red), then the message, followed by ^R, another constant. I need to push these control characters and message to a COM Port. How can I do this in VB? I'm very new to programming and need help. I apologize if I "talked down" to any professionals that already know how to work LED's, and I appreciate any help!!

Hi and welcome to Tek-Tips. To get the best from these forums, start by reading faq222-2244 carefully.

For this particular issue look at using the standard MSComm control. MSDN or VBHelp has a coding example.

You might also try a search on this forum for 'MSComm' on the Keyword Search tab at the top of this window, using the Search in This Forum option.

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back